I spend a lot of time working on the command line. Day in; day out. Hours at a time. This is a brief rundown of the setup that I’ve been using for some time and am finally happy with.
With the increasing time that I’m spending in Tmux and Vim I’ve come to realise that the positioning of the control key is far from comfortable when working for a period of time. On the other hand I rarely use the ergonomically positioned caps lock.
As of today I’m open-sourcing my custom WordPress CloudApp powered shortlink generator Cirrus. Developed ~9 months ago I’ve been using it on and off on my own blog so that I have a unified shortlink presence.
I’ve been gradually moving back to Vim from and one aspect that has really swayed me is the recent addition of the
relativenumber setting in Vim 7.3.
Recently I’ve wondering whether it was worth trying to improve my WordPress-based blog performance. While it wasn’t particularly terrible, waiting over 2 seconds just to load a single page isn’t exactly stunning.
Spotio is an open-source, web-based, multi-user Spotify remote. It features support for viewing the currently playing track, skipping tracks and, most importantly, the ability to control playback.
It annoyed my slightly that simple things such as hitting escape to close the new tweet window were only available to people who’d purchased the MacHeist Nanobundle. You can enable these preferences yourself with only a small amount of command line tinkering.
I’ve been a Git convert, and version control geek, for over a year now so I’ve sort of become the unofficial Git consultant at the office. If anythings breaks or something weird happens I’m usually the one called in to sort it out.
I’ve been trying out the brand new Google Closure Compiler instead of the YUI Compressor. I’m not going to go into any detail about the Closure Compiler as there’s plenty of information out there already, but I can say that it looks like another solid offering from Google.
Whilst I was redesigning my blog (what do you think by the way) I decided that what I really needed to finish it off was an ajaxy live search. Now normally I would have looked for a jQuery version, but as I’ve been trying my hand at a bit of MooTools recently I decided to write my own plugin. By the way, if you want to use it on your own site it’s available for download on GitHub.
Recently I’ve been looking at a way to ease the path of deploying PHP applications to my servers. I eventually settled on the excellent Ruby tool Capistrano which is very popular with the Rails crowd. Now, I’m aware of the irony of using Ruby to deploy PHP but please bare with me.
There is a major problem with the approach of many internet based companies. Don’t get me wrong, I’m as much a fan of them as anybody, but if they want to survive they need to get smart. And fast.